Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Saturday, September 5, 2009
Friday, August 21, 2009
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Friday, July 17, 2009
1) Read this blog - this was my first time reading a "blog" very cool
2) Lifelong learners - might have learned a little something here, kinda forgot already - "Play" wasn't that in there somewhere?
3) Set up my own blog - this was very cool, and I think I'll keep it going, I enjoy it. One thing I didn't like very much about the blogging is that most people don't use their "real" name so I don't know who I'm following, or who's following me. I wish people would just use their real name.
4) Publicized my blog with the 27 things so people could read and follow if they wanted to.
5) Flickr - I think I'd use this one again
6) Flickr Mashups - didn't quite get this one.
7) Blog post about anything techno - I think I talked about Google Chrome
8) RSS Feeds - setup Bloglines and now I'm addicted to LOLcats - thank you very much!
9) Read some library blogs and RSS feeds, but they're not as addicting as LOLcats!
10) Online Image Generator - This was okay, don't know if I'll use it again
11) Library Thing - definitely liked it but I need to play with it more to see if I want to maintain it or just add my books to my virtual facebook bookshelf....hmmm...decisions
12) Rollyo - eh...didn't really like this
13) Tagging and Del.icio.us - still learning, I've imported all of my bookmarks, now I have to organize them.
14) Technorati - I didn't get this one - don't think i'll use it much
15) Library 2.0 - I came to the conclusion that the library and any viable business has to learn to move forward with technology or they will be left in the dust.
16) Wikis - Wikis are cool, it's neat to work on a webpage along with other people.
17) Add an entry to the library wiki - I did
18) Online docs - LOVED this one, and I recently heard that Microsoft is going to have a free online docs, like their "Word" only a little more scaled down. Maybe they realize the free stuff is out there and they better get on the bandwagon or lose business.
19) Web 2.0 awards - I loved this site, I even bookmarked it! I can't wait to see the new awards - I think this is a cool way to see what products are out there and popular with the people.
20)You Tube - this site is fun and interesting. It is easy to see how this can be used in just about every setting - teaching and learning and just plain fun.
21) Podcasts - I don't think I'd listen to podcasts on a regular basis, but would be willing to listen to one if it had info I needed.
22) Downloadable audios - this one was easy - I've been downloading for a while. I love it! I download the audio book, put it on my mp3 player, and listen while I garden. Right now I'm listening to "Agnes and the Hitman" FABULOUS
23) SPL Website - Nice changes
24) Mango - need to use it more - want to learn Spanish!
25) Twitter - not sure, is this better than Facebook? I don't tweet from my cell phone so I don't know if I'll use it much.
26) Thingfo - don't really know what it is as I could not sign up - by "invite" only, but how do you get invited?
27) wrap up ! This was a great learning experience. And I know it doesn't end here....every day there are new products out there. I don't want to be all 20 minutes ago....
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Thingfo is currently invite-only while we focus on the next version. Existing users, sign in.
We're cooking up some new and exciting things for release later this summer.
Feel free to contact us on our blog, or on Twitter, or info @ thingfo dot com.
Did you read that? INVITE ONLY
Sooooooo,..... hmmmm.......not sure what to do but I can't sign up.......
I shall read some other blogging posts to see if I'm the only one......
There was no "Sign UP" page just a "Sign IN" page........
I'm interested but stymied....
Ta for now!
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
(sidebar - oh wait, I just looked at my twitter page and there is a lot of different tweets now...)
And, I wonder if this is any different/better than facebook? On facebook it looks like people "tweet"; they are short little snippets of messages that people write.
So that's a good question, what is the advantage to me to use Twitter over Facebook? Because I don't think I can maintain too many different social sites. I am really enjoying the facebook and I'm enjoying this blog....
Tell me, anyone, why should I maintain a twitter account????
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Then alas, that friend moved away and now my Spanish skills are beyong rusty.
Enter Mango Language Learning!! I did the first couple of lessons and it was a LOT of fun, very repetitive, which I liked. I did go through the lessons quickly but realized I can go back and take my time and probably really learn something.
I definitely like it!
Thursday, July 2, 2009
However, it still seems difficult to find things. If you know that you've seen a database in the past...say Mitchell's on Demand...what do you click on to get to that database? And the click for "D0, make, be for teens" is different than the "teens" link at the top...
And if you type something into the search screen, "Find in the Catalog" - you get Encore, which I think is confusing to a patron that just wants the regular "I'm used to it" library catalog, and how do you get to the regular catalog if you're in Encore? But if you click on the word "catalog" on the Home Page you WILL go directly to the regular catalog....
Maybe we need a search screen that searches SPL's website. Like a "site map", I've used that on other businesses websites - like Universities.
I guess I'd have to do research on other library websites to see how it could be more user friendly. But again, the GRAPHICS are great, I love them, it just seems like finding actual information is difficult and frustrating and might make people still flock to Google or Amazon.com
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
This is an easy one. I've been downloading audiobooks for over a year and I really love it! I started a year ago in the springtime when I was working on my flower beds. It is so nice to listen to a story while you are working in the garden. I have played around a little bit with the "Search" feature and I think I've really figured out how to find things easily. I love the Overdrive interface and am excited to try the new program out.
Friday, June 26, 2009
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Who woulda thought it??!!
I will actually be looking at a lot of them, but the first one I decided to look at in depth is "lulu".
Saturday, June 6, 2009
Anyway, this is what I posted on the Sandbox, in case you haven't visited and edited it yourself lately: (interesting, my picture of my house didn't come through...hmmm.....)
FrontPage Learn About Wikis Sandbox Discovery Resources Staff Blogs Page Editing Instructions
This is fun! I like how you can click on the "star" up in the left hand corner and it SAID it would notify you when there are changes, I hope so. I'm glad we're trying all of these new things. And hello to you too lordy! Here is a picture of my house, builder says October 1st for a move-in! Whoo-hoo!
This is posted on June 6th! Natalie
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Friday, May 22, 2009
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
I went ahead and registered, because it SOUNDS like a site I might like - it SOUNDS like it's a site that will organize my bookmarks? But I guess I'm confused about that too. I just need a "layman's" explanation of what the heck this site is for! So, as I said, I did register and right away it asked me to download something so that something would pop up and bookmark my pages, or something like that.... well, I went ahead and clicked to do that and ANOTHER ERROR CAME UP! I'm just confused about everything to do with del.icio.us. Which brings me to it's slightly stupid name del.icio.us???!!! What they hey? Do you just say it's name "delicious" or do you slowly pronounce each syllable - de-li-ci-ous ?? It gives me a headache thinking about it.
This looks like the type of site that might be useful IF you have the time to really sit and play with it and figure it out - and right now I don't feel like I have a lot of time to play with something that I don't really know if I'll use or not.
There are so many choices of new things on the web!
Saturday, May 9, 2009
HERE IS MY ROLLYO! Whoo-hoo it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.
My Rollyo is for "Ancient Egypt" websites. I've only uploaded a few sites that I use, but will soon add more. This Rollyo is because this year I did a twelve week program on Ancient Egypt with Isleton School's 6th grade class. It was a BLAST! We made cat mummies, sugar pyramids, learned how to write our names in hieroglyphs, learned about the Nile River and Gods and Pharaohs. The 6th grade teacher begged, yes BEGGED, me to collaborate with her again (I am grinning like the Cheshire Cat) to do it again next year. It was as much fun for me as it was for the kids. We had a wrap-up party at the end where we watched a video about ancient Egypt, had Egyptian type foods and drinks and praised everyone's work.
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
(well.....maybe it was done through fd's Flickr Toys!)
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Saturday, April 25, 2009
After signing up I started doing some searching for a feed that I would actually like to read once in a while.... so after thinkin' and thinkin' I decided I would like to read more home decorating/home building/gardening articles. So what better place than Home And Garden TV or DIY network? Both of these offered feeds, which I subscribed to, but both of them show the latest article is from 2007!!
Then I tried another home decorating website (something I'd never heard of before) and it too dated to 2007 as the newest feed.
hmmm.....is there a conspiracy here?
Thursday, April 23, 2009
I will admit that I haven't read every single panel in the comic strip, but what I have read seems to make sense. This is a new way of searching that is faster and more comprehensive. When I was getting some help on an Intuit website for my husband's business I happened to tell the techie guy from Intuit (based out of Menlo Park) that I was using Google Chrome and he said he LOVES Google Chrome. Hey, there's a good endorsement, right?
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
So, forgive me and switch the page if your feeling queasy.....
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Thursday, April 16, 2009
The only way to read someone's blog seems to be from the 27 things blog, on the right hand side, there is a list of recent blogs and if you click on one it takes you to that blog; or to know the exact URL address and type it into the address bar.
HELP! There must be another way!
Your friend in blogness - Natalie
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
The 7 1/2 habits....hmmm..... which habit is the easiest?
probably #1 ) Begin with the End in Mind! I like to think about what I'm going to get out of learning something. Like the 27 things - I can already think about the end - that I'll be more comfortable using 2.0 technology. I want to learn it, I want to understand what it is and not get frustrated by it, and I want to sound fairly intelligent when I talk about it!
Which habit will be the hardest? #3) View problems as challenges. Sometimes it's very difficult to take a step back from a "problem" and just realize that it really is a challenge, I'll learn something new and learn to react a certain way once a problem/challenge pops up. Realizing that every problem is not the end of the world is a difficult lesson, but one that can be learned.
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Well, should I keep this professional, or get personal? Probably not TOO personal....
Does anyone really care what I have to say? What I think about?
This is hard - - you know when I was a teenager, I kept a diary, maybe I'll think about it like that (although, as I said before, not TOO personal)
Work is good, life at home right now, not so good. Building a house....nuf said...stress level through the roof.
Easter is coming, that should be nice, weather should be nice.
Well, okay, enough about me....I'll sign off now
What a RANDOM blog!